STATEMENT OF NONPARTISAN POLICY
The purposes of the League of Women Voters are to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation of citizens in government and to act on selected governmental issues. The League is nonpartisan in that it does not support or oppose any political party or candidate; it is political in that it takes positions on selected governmental issues after member study and agreement.
Each League's board of directors is responsible for drafting and carrying out the League's nonpartisan political policy in its community, keeping in mind that everything the Leagues does should be measured against the yardstick of nonpartisanship. The Board is also responsible for seeing that both its members and the public understand the Leagues' nonpartisan policy. The goal, of course, is to ensure the credibility of the League.
1. Members of the LWVCC are encouraged to participate in political party activities, to hold public office, and actively to support or oppose public issues as they choose, so long as they make it clear that they are not acting in the name of the League.
2. Board members, however, must take a leave of absence from the Board before becoming a candidate for or accepting elective office at any level, or working publicly for or against any candidate or political party.
3. A Board member who takes a leave of absence from the Board is again eligible for office after the political activity has ceased; the Board shall determine the length of the waiting period.
4. A Board member must notify the Board upon accepting an appointment to a public board or commission.
5. This Nonpartisan Policy must be fully explained to all prospects for nomination or appointment to the Board. Acceptance of Board membership denotes willingness to comply.
6. This Nonpartisan Policy should be reviewed annually by the Board.
Reviewed: 03/1992 08/1994 08/15/2012 02/05/2013 08/18/2015 08/17/2016 08/15/2017 01/15/2019