Houghton County Jail
The LWVCC had conducted several meetings to gather public input into two important issues facing the Houghton County electorate in the next year - the inadequate Houghton County jail and the aging and cramped County courthouse. The County Board of Commissioners is currently considering a millage proposal that would build an addition to the existing jail in the place where the parking deck behind the courthouse is now located. For more information on the jail/courthouse issues, please see the pro/con lists below. League of Women Voters of the Copper Country wants to expand the discussion and involve the citizens.
The League presentation on the jail can be viewed here
Please read the fact sheets and answer the survey before the end of April.
The League will compile the feedback received and present it to the Houghton County Board of Commissioners in time for the County Board's action on designing a millage.
Daily Mining Gazette Editorial on Jail Millage's Lack of Public Input by Faith Morrison
Houghton Jail Fact Sheet
Houghton Jail Pro/Con Sheet
The plans for the Houghton Jail are in the preliminary stage.
UPEA comments from Karin Cooper and Rod Miller.
The solutions presented may not solve every issue, but we believe it is a good solution for the jail for many reasons:
* conforms to jail construction standards
* improves security for the public, corrections staff, and courthouse employees by providing interior connection to the courthouse
* provides flexibility for classification and separation of inmates
* more controlled and observable movement paths (safety)
* cost-effective for construction, efficiency, and operations
Houghton Jail Preliminary Addition Floor 1
Houghton Jail Preliminary Addition Floor 2